Nicole Methner, M.Sc.
Nicole Methner, M. Sc.
- Political communication
- Intergroup relations
- Since 2016 Ph.D. student, Social, Environmental and Business Psychology, University of Koblenz-Landau
- 2015 MSc in Psychology, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
- 2011 – 2012 Academic Year Abroad, University of Kent, Canterbury, United Kingdom
- 2010 BSc in Psychology, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
Research and Teaching Experience
- Since 2018 Research and teaching associate, Social Psychology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- 2019 Research stay at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- 2016 – 2017 Research and teaching associate, Social, Environmental and Business Psychology, University of Koblenz-Landau
- 2015 Research associate, research group “Communication, Media, and Politics”, University Koblenz-Landau
- 2008 – 2015 Student research assistant (International Graduate College “Conflict and Cooperation between Social Groups“, Department of Social Cognition and Cognitive Psychology, Department of Educational Psychology), Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
Awards, Grants, and Scholarships
- 2018 Support for the EASP meeting “Polarization, Populism, Political Alienation: Causes and Consequences of Social Diversity and Inequality?” (approx. 15,500 Euro) in November 2018, organized with Melanie C. Steffens, Susanne Bruckmüller, Franziska Ehrke, Julia Dupont, and Nadine Knab
- 2016-2018 Travel grants (approx. 4,300 Euro), University of Koblenz-Landau
- 2016 Ph.D. scholarship, granted by Konrad Adenauer Foundation
- 2016 Ph.D. scholarship, offered by the German Academic Scholarship Foundation (declined)
- 2016 Grant for a research assistant (approx. 2,200 Euro), research group “Communication, Media, and Politics”, University of Koblenz-Landau
- 2016 Initial Ph.D. scholarship, granted by the research group “Communication, Media, and Politics”, University of Koblenz-Landau
- 2015 Rainer-K.-Silbereisen-Award (Award for the best graduate in the academic year, granted by the Department of Psychology, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena)
- 2011/2012 Erasmus scholarship for the academic year at the University of Kent, Canterbury, UK
Here you can find a complete list of all publications incl. talks.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Methner, N., Bruckmüller, S., & Steffens, M.C. (2020). Can accepting criticism be an effective impression management strategy for public figures? A comparison with denials and a counterattack. Basic and Applied Social Psychology. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01973533.2020.1754824
- Dieckmann, J., Steffens, C. M., & Methner, N. (2018). Back to the roots: When diversity evokes increased group-based conventionalism. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 21(2), 351-367. https://doi.org/10.1177/1368430216670245
- Berthold, A., Leicht, C., Methner, N., & Gaum, P. (2013). Seeing the world with the eyes of the outgroup—The impact of perspective taking on the prototypicality of the ingroup relative to the outgroup. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 49, 1034-1041. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2013.07.007
- Bruckmüller, S., & Methner, N. (2018). The “Big Two” in citizens’ perceptions of politicians. In A. E. Abele & B. Wojciszke (Eds.), Agency and communion in social psychology (pp. 154–166). London: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203703663-13
- Steffens, M. C., Niedlich, C., Kachel, S., & Methner, N. (2016). Impression formation of applicants differing in sexual orientation: An attempt to integrate theoretical models and a review of the empirical evidence. In F. Earley (Ed.), Sexual orientation: Perceptions, discrimination and acceptance (pp. 51-80). New York: Nova Science publishers.